Rules – Recommendations – Release
Varde Sport Fishing Association
Rules of fishing:
Payment of fishing permit and mandatory Danish fishing license is required before you start fishing. The mandatory fishing license applies to all persons aged 18 – 64 years.
Only one fishing rod per person is allowed .
Only one hook is allowed on the line. It may be a single hook, double hook or triple hook. Use of barbed hooks is not allowed.
Use of shrimp and spawn as bait is not allowed .
The daily limit per day is three salmonids (salmon, sea trout and river trout) per person with a sub-limit of one salmon per year.
Members, their spouse and children under the age of 12 are allowed to share one permit if the family fishes together (applies in zones 1, 2 and 3).
Fishing for members only in the river Linding. The river Linding is designated as a salmon river class B. Fishing with worms is not permitted in the river Linding – except for children under the age of 12 accompanied by a member. Tatting is permitted.
Anglers have the right to move along the river only and should keep off corn and high grass.
ALWAYS respect the property of river bank owners.
Putting up tents is not permitted.
Vehicles only permitted on marked roads and parking spaces. Littering of fishing hooks, paper, bottles, fishing line, etc. is prohibited. Do not touch fyke nets.
Dogs are not allowed .
Release of fish should take place as quickly as possible.
Protected and undersize fish must be released, irrespective of condition. Unhook fish in the water, then release.
Avoid – if possible – taking fish that will be released from the water. Only use knotless, fine mesh nets.
Do not waste time on weighing fish that will be released. Do not fill in weight when you report a released fish.
Put measuring marks on your rod to allow you to easily and qulckly measure the size of a fish while it is still in the water.
Bring pliers, hook remover and scissors.
Cut the line close to the hook if gentle unhooking is not possible. Never use gaffs for landing of fish that will be released.
Use tackle that is strong enough to handle large fish and avoid long fighting times.
Give the fish the benefit of the doubt if you are unsure of its length when the catch limit for large salmon is reached.
Please feel free to include a photo of fish you keep in your report .
Varde Sport Fishing Association recommends avoiding spending time taking photos of fish that are released.
Varde Sport Fishing Association reserves the right to remove photos of released fish, and the photos will not be published on the website/catch report.
Varde Sport Fishing Association recommends that you do not keep more than 2-3 sea trout per season.
Mandatory catch reporting
- Reporting of all salmon, sea trout, river trout and grayling caught is mandatory.
The reporting is mandatory, whether the fish is brought home or released, and the reporting should be completed by midnight on the day of capture.
- Fill in the report on http://varde-sportsfiskerforening.dk/registrer-fangst/
Season and minimum sizes:
Salmon rivers A:
River Grindsted, from the dam at Utoft Fish Farm downstream to the river outflow into the Wadden Sea. River Ansager, from the dam at Krogager Fish Farm downstream to the river outflow into the Wadden Sea.
In salmon rivers A angling with rod and line is not permitted from 1 November up to and including 15 April.
Salmon rivers B:
All other parts of the river Varde system.
In salmon rivers B angling with rod and line is not permitted from 1 November up to and including February .
60cm (Proteded in April)
The length is measured from the tip of the mouth to the tip of the tail.
Regulation for Salmon Fishing in the Varde Stream System 2018
An executive order issued by the Danish Directorate for Fisheries (Fiskeristyrelsen) has resulted in unconditional preservation of salmon in the Wadden Sea (Vadehavet), Ribe Stream (Ribe Å) and Varde Stream (Varde Å).
Pre-season, the anglers’ associations under The Varde Stream Association (Varde Å Sammenslutningen) has been granted an exemption to catch a total of 240 salmon from 16 April 2018 up to and including 31 October 2018. The exemption applies to the members of fishing associations under the Varde Stream Association, and the associations’ fishing permit buyers and riparian owners.
It is allowed to catch and bring home a quota of 235 salmon from Salmon Water A. The quota is divided in 2 groups, one of 125 for salmon ≤ 75 cm, and one of 110 for salmon > 75 cm.
5 salmon can be caught and brought home on Salmon Water B. This quota is for salmon > 40 cm. Salmon Water A:
- The Grindsted stream (Grindsted Å) from the damming at Utoft fish farm and downstream to the mouth in the Wadden
- The Ansager stream (Ansager Å) from the damming at Krogager fish farm and downstream to the mouth in the Wadden Sea (Vadehavet)
Salmon Water B:
- The parts of the Varde Stream not covered in the
Members, fishing permit buyers and riparian owners must respect the following rules:
- It is only allowed to catch one salmon per member, fishing permit buyer and riparian owner in Catch reports must be submitted immediately, and the exact length of the salmon in centimetres must be stated in the catch report. According to the Danish AgriFish Agency, the angler must state first and last names, address, date of the catch, gender of the salmon, whether the fins were trimmed and location of the catch (zone).
- Submission must be made no later than 24:00 on the same day the salmon is taken or reissued!! Reporting of salmon catches are made electronically on: varde-sportsfiskerforendk/registrer-fangst/.
- Released salmon as well as caught salmon must be reported It is requested that salmon that will be released are treated as gently as possible. Reporting of released salmon is done electronically on: varde-dk/registrer-fangst/
- Please remember that the minimum size limit for salmon is 40
The Varde Stream Association
- According to the permission to bring home salmon, fishing (bringing home salmon) will be suspended when 123 salmon
≤75 cm and also when 108 salmon >75 cm have been reported caught and killed.
- In 2018 5% of the quota are reserved for Nørholm, in total 6 salmon ≤75 cm and 6 salmon >75
Minimum 10% of the quota are reserved for the zones 3, 4, and 5, in total 13 salmon ≤75 cm and 11 salmon >75 cm. 1 salmon is reserved for riparian owner Bjarke Christensen
- The different Zones of the Varde Stream System are defined as: Zone 1: From Nørholm to the mouth of the stream in Ho
Zone 2: From the confluence of Grindsted stream and Ansager stream and downstream to Nørholm.
Zone 3: Ansager stream from the fish farm at Kroager downstream to the confluence with Grindsted stream.
Zone 4: Grindsted stream from the bridge at Morsbøl Skolevej and downstream to the confluence with Ansager stream. Zone 5: Grindsted stream from the bridge at Morsbøl Skolevej and upstream as well as Ansager stream from the fish farm at Kroager and upstream.
Zone 6: Holme stream.
- Procedures for introduction of suspension of salmon fishing (bringing home salmon) in 2018 on Salmon Water A:
Salmon ≤75 cm, Salmon Water A (small salmon):
- Salmon fishing is suspended at Nørholm once 6 salmon have been
- Salmon fishing is suspended in zones 1-2 once 110 salmon have been caught in all
- Salmon fishing is fully suspended once in zones 1-5 once 123 salmon have been
Salmon >75 cm, Salmon Water A (large salmon):
- Salmon fishing is suspended at Nørholm once 6 salmon have been
- Salmon fishing is suspended for Bjarke Christensen once 1 salmon has been
- Salmon fishing is suspended in zones 1-2 once 97 salmon have been caught in all
- Salmon fishing is fully suspended once in zones 1-5 once 108 salmon have been
- Salmon > 40cm, Salmon Water B:
- Salmon fishing is suspended on Salmon Water B once 4-5 salmon have been
- From April 16 until and including October 31, 2018, salmon may be caught – on the condition that salmon fishing has not been
- Members, fishing permit buyers and riparian owners are obliged to keep updated on a possible suspension prior to fishing. A possible suspension will be announced on the Varde Anglers’ Association’s website varde-dk,www.sportsfiskeren.dk and via newspapers etc.
- Who is allowed to catch salmon:
- Members of associations connected to the Varde Stream
- Anglers holding fishing permits purchased through an association which is a member of the Varde Stream
- Riparian owners who have rented fishing water to an association which is a member of the Varde Stream
- Riparian owners with private fishing waters who are members of the Varde Stream
- Each member, fishing permit purchaser or riparian owner is allowed to catch one salmon every year from the Varde Steam System during the period of time stated above – or until salmon catching has been
- Regardless of the number of fishing permits purchased by a single angler within a year, only one salmon may be
- Members of an association are only entitled to catch one salmon – this also applies to memberships which include spouse/cohabiter and children under 12 years of age.
- It is not possible to gain permission to catch more than one salmon from the Varde Stream System by combining several memberships, purchases of one day fishing licenses or, as a riparian owner, “buying” the right to catch more than one salmon in the Varde Stream
- The person who catches the salmon is therefore personally obliged to report the catch or perform a possible Salmon catches cannot be transferred to another person.
- When one salmon has been caught, all further salmons must be released – preferably without removing the salmon from the water and, for instance, by cutting the fishing The demand for release is indispensable regardless of the condition of the salmon. The directorate for Fisheries clarifies this by stating that whenever possible, preserved species of fish must be released alive.
- Riparian owners are subject to the same rules as anglers and may also catch only one salmon – regardless of the number of plots he
- Released salmon as well as caught salmon must be reported No later than 24:00 on the day of the catch. The reporting is done electronically on: varde-sportsfiskerforening.dk/registrer-fangst/
- If a person catches a dead salmon by/in the stream, this must be reported and the right to catch 1 salmon is thereby spent.
- Breach of these rules will result in a ban for the remaining of the season and for the coming Repeated breach will lead to an indefinite ban.
- The Varde Stream Association is obliged to report any breaches of the above regulation to the Directorate for
Special rules applying to fishing in 2018
In 2018, Executive Order No. 1420, 12 December 2013: “Executive order on special fishing regulations and
conservation zones in the Wadden Sea and in some South Jutlandic streams” laid down specific rules that must be observed when fishing in the Varde Stream System.
The rules are as follows:
- 2, 6: It is not allowed to fish with shrimp and roe as bait.
- 2, 7: Only one hook on the fishing line is allowed. The hook must be a single hook, double hook or treble hook.
- 2, 8: It is not allowed to use barbed hooks.
- 2, 9: Subsections 7-9 do not apply to lakes which are part of the water system.